Dealing with an ex who isn't paying their child or spousal support payments can be exceedingly frustrating, especially if you need that money to provide for you and your children's essential needs. Here are just a few options to consider when your ex isn't paying their support payments. Make An Appointment With A Family Lawyer The most common option to consider when you have an ex who isn't paying their support payments is to make an appointment with a family lawyer.